Steve and CC


For the past few weeks, I have had the privilege and joy of watching two beautiful cats, Steve and CC. Steve and CC live in Salmon Arm, British Columbia, with their humans, Jackie and Rod. Steve warmed up to me first; CC took a little more time. Once I gained their trust, their personalities started to shine through.

Steve
Steve is a beautiful tabby with eyes that can see right through you. A morning cat, he greets me every morning with meows that crescendo to a boisterous demand for the brisk air outside. One day he let me sleep to nine and another morning he cut my sleep short by starting his cries at five. Those times were an example in the extreme. Most of the time he begins quietly at about seven am, increasing to paint shattering decibels until I stumble to the patio door to let him out for his morning constitutional. During my first few days, I tried to feed him his breakfast before letting him out but soon realized that he prefers to dine after he has made his rounds and without his sister.


Stevie is confident in every step he takes and every tail-flick and ear twitch is a choreographed move to an internal soundtrack. He keeps me company in whatever room I am in – whether it’s curled up in his kitty tower, on my keyboard, or on my lap, he asserts his dominance over me and my heart melts. He doesn’t purr often for me but when he does I turn into a large pile of goo. As I stroke his lovely fur, he looks deep into my eyes and I swear I can hear him say, “You are now mine, human. Bow before me.” And I do.

CC is Steve’s sister and I always imagine that she is the pesky little sister, always hanging about, and getting in the way. While I am preparing their evening meal, CC head butts Steve who then proceeds to give her a few licks on the forehead. I don’t think dinner is allowed until the appropriate grooming ritual is completed. Steve tolerates it well but has no shame nipping her on the ear if she is too obnoxious. CC is not as adventurous as Steve and is a little shy. It took her a little longer to accept me, preferring to hang out on the back of a chair in the living room or in the upstairs kitty tree.

CC
On the day she curled up with me in my bed was the day I knew she let her guard down and decided to invite me into her world. On this day, I had fed her breakfast and decided to go back and lay down for a bit. She jumped up on the bed, crawled under the covers, and curled up against my side with her head laying on my arm. She purred and made soft little meows and a tradition began. Every day since we spend at least 30 minutes (sometimes more) snuggling after breakfast. I love her gentle spirit and the timid determination she uses to explore her world. She’s not as adventurous as Steve, preferring to go outside if I go with her, but she’s got some spunk and she’s not afraid to let me know when she’s had it with my petting that gets too close to her tummy. In my head, CC’s soundtrack is “Swan Lake” – elegant and present in the moment.


I appreciate the time I’ve gotten to spend with Steve and CC and am so thankful for the trust Jackie and Rod have placed in me to care for their home and their cats. But what I appreciate and value the most is the trust these two cats have placed in me and the opportunity I’ve had to be a part of their world – if only for a short bit of time.





Comments

Popular Posts