A little travel secret

I am often asked how I can afford to travel as frequently as I do. This question flummoxes me because I don’t feel like I travel all that frequently. I believe people are always waiting for that “perfect” moment to take their dream vacation – when the kids are gone; when the bills are paid off; when work has calmed down. They have yet to discover what I discovered so long ago – tomorrow never comes and if you want to travel, you have to make it a priority. Travel is my priority. I’m not saying that I ignore my responsibilities to jet off to some far off land on a whim. I have a job that is pretty demanding, a small business that requires my attention, family obligations and bills to pay. I prioritize and plan. Before I even hop on a plane, I have paid for the majority of my trip through budgeting and advance booking.

Here is a guideline of planning and paying for a trip before you ever step foot on a plane. One thing is assumed – you will pay with your debit card.

Where will you go?
Where is it that you want to go? Where have you dreamt of visiting and what stamps in your passport get you excited?  Have you always wanted to see the Northern Lights or is a beach vacation more your thing? Are you more comfortable in an urban setting where your language is spoken or are you itching to take that road less traveled? Will you be going with friends or will this be a solo adventure? Do you have a short period for your holiday or do you have a flexible amount of time? The answers to those questions will help you figure out where and when you’re going.

Schedule
Now that you’ve determined where you’re going to go, you have to figure out how long you’re going to travel. Will you find a central location and take day trips out from there or will you spend a day or two in many different locations. This is an important step to plan because you’ll have to figure out transportation and lodging based on your travel plan.

Transportation – 3 to 6 months out
First buy the major ticket and, if you can, the supplemental tickets as well. An example - you’re going to fly in and out of Oslo and use regional air or train to get from Oslo to another destination. Buy your plane ticket to Oslo then your regional transportation tickets, whether it is by air or land. By locking in your transportation, you give your itinerary a firm foundation from which to build. I have purchased my ticket 6 months in advance before but generally, I get it 2-4 months out. I’ve not encountered much difference in booking further out but I have regretted not buying the ticket when I first found a decent fare. Procrastination can hurt the bank account.

Lodging – once your transportation has been paid
Unless you’re incredibly lucky and have relatives/friends who will put you up, even a hostel stay can take a large chunk of your budget. I have had the best luck and most affordable arrangements using AirBnB, Booking.com or TRVL.com. If you use a booking service or go directly through the hotel or hostel, make sure you take the pay in advance option. This does lock you into specific dates and locations but saves you the hassle of trying to find lodging within your budget at the end of a long day.

Activities and in-town transportation – 1 to 2 months out
An error I have made in the past was to book myself with so many activities and tours that I never got any downtime. I was so worried that I wouldn’t be able to “see it all” that I failed to allow myself time to be mindful and inquisitive of a fascinating new place. Most activities and tours are non-refundable so be sure that what you pay for in advance is what you really want to do. If it’s iffy, wait and pay for it on location. When searching, use sites like Expedia and Viator but don’t neglect to go directly to the company’s website. I have often found the company to be more economical than a distributor site. However, when cost is the same on both sites, I will go with the company that provides the most generous guarantee.

So there you have it – a guideline to pay for your trip before you get on the plane. While it may incur some risk (non-refundable), you won’t come home from your amazing trip dreading the credit card bill. Take the step and just buy the ticket. Trust me. It’s doable with planning and the courage to make that first move.

Where will you go? 

Comments

  1. Okay I'm really late to the party with this comment but I have to admit Jamie and I said a week ago, "How can Bethany travel so frequently"? Thanks for the tips, we always put off vacations... but no more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts