Tips Unlimited



I am a wanderer. I covet frequent flyer miles and hoard luggage cubes like some people collect coupons. I’m handy with Google and will read just about any travel tip article ever published to try to make my dollar and experience go further. Some of the tips I’ve found over the years have been gold (pack a change of clothes in your carry-on), others have been completely and utterly false. Through experience and observation, I present my tips for travel abroad. A little note here – my travels have been through the United Kingdom, mainland Europe, Scandinavia, and some Eastern European countries.

Tipping in restaurants
This is a big one. I continually see articles that state tipping is not the norm outside of the USA. I have discovered quite the opposite. General rule of thumb is 10 to 15% but can be as simple as rounding up to the next whole unit (for example, Germany). Base your tip on the quality of the service but keep in mind that your reference for “quality” differs depending on location and whether or not they are accustomed to tourists.

Tipping a tour guide
Tip your guide, people. They often put in hours of work before your tour even departs to make the tour interesting and engaging for you. Tip 10 to 20% of the cost of your tour. If you take a “free” tour (often in the form of a city walk), tip your guide the equivalent of 1 to 5 dollars, depending on the quality of the tour and the guide’s engagement with the group.


Refills, ice, and tap water
Unlimited free refills of soda do not exist. If you ask for water, you may be charged for it (Germany), and you can ask for ice but don’t expect to get more than 2 or 3 cubes.

Personal space
In the queue, you will have people uncomfortably close to you. If you leave too much space between you and the person in front of you, someone else will see this as an opportunity to move closer ahead. If you use public transit, you will be crowded. I find a good buffer (I have a very large bubble) to be a backpack. Even then, it might be closer than you would like. My best advice for bubble people – breathe. And don’t travel during the height of the tourist season.

Communication
Unless you are visiting a country with English as the main language, do not expect English to be spoken or written. Most countries put us to shame by having English available but don’t assume and become belligerent when the hotel receptionist doesn’t talk to you in English. With technology, access to a translator is at your fingertips. Still, make an effort and at least learn a few phrases in the native tongue. The most useful for me has been, “where are the toilets”, “thank you”, “please”, and “one Coca Cola, please”.

Small talk
I will strike up a conversation with anyone, in any situation. Short elevator ride? You bet. Standing in line at the grocery store? Definitely. Long cross-country train trek? I can’t imagine a more scenic way to meet and talk with people. My willingness and the fact that I will often instigate a conversation with the nearest person immediately identifies me as an American. This is something I cannot (and will not) change when I travel. However, I am sensitive to those I am attempting to engage with and I will respond appropriately. If they look uncomfortable or unwilling, I’ll find a new target. No sense in perpetuating the stereotype of the obnoxious American. I’ve also learned which topics should be avoided and which topics are “safe”. Safe topics in the UK – the weather; in Germany – the weather; in Ireland – the weather; in Norway – the weather (get the picture?). I avoid politics like the plague. Except in Canada. I discovered that Canadians love to talk about American politics. Fortunately, the majority I have talked with have similar points of view to me. I made the mistake once (and just once) of asking an English couple what they thought about an independent Scotland on a train trip through Scotland. They were very kind in their rebuke. Lesson learned.

Public toilets
The downside to public toilets in Europe – most will cost you to use. The upside to public toilets in Europe – most are very clean (emphasis on “most”). I recommend to always have small change on you because you never know when you’re going to have to go, and I haven’t found a public toilet yet that accepts credit cards.

Cash or Credit
The use of cash or credit varies widely from country to country. I can spend my entire time in Norway or Canada and never need to use the ATM to get cash. In the UK and Germany, cash is preferred, especially for smaller purchases. When you decide you need cash, use an ATM at a bank and decline the bank’s offer to convert your withdrawal. Not only will you get a better exchange rate, but you will also avoid additional foreign transaction fees.


America
Referring to home as “America” or yourself as an “American” can be a faux pas if you are speaking to others who are from North America, South America, and Central America. While I have never encountered someone from Costa Rica becoming upset with me because I said I was from America, it is always in the back of my head. What I have discovered is that when a group of people get together and say where they are from, the majority of those from the States identify the state, not “America”. When I say, “Colorado”, it is often followed by, “You’re American, then?” So take that little bit of information and use it as you see fit. I find the nuances intriguing.

Attire
I have read many articles that say that foreigners are easily recognized by their sloppy or casual dress. I have been told that jeans, sweatshirts, tennis shoes, and sandals are items that would never be worn in public in Europe. I have found this to be comically untrue. Wear what you’re comfortable in – whether it be jeans and flip flops or a three-piece suit – and dress for the occasion.


Comments

Popular Posts