Saddleworth Rushcart Festival



I am on my annual house-stay in Grasscroft, UK, and I had the opportunity to experience a rushcart festival in Saddleworth. I had no idea what a “rushcart” was or why there was a festival attached to it, so I decided to check it out.

Replica - found throughout town
In town, I encountered much merriment and excitement. I arrived about an hour before the cart, built by the Morrismen of the town, was to set off on its way to show off in Delph. There was a lady that looked similar to my Aunt Marti enjoying the crowds of festival-goers, so I asked her what the big to-do was. Because this person looked much like my Aunt Marti, I figured she’d have no problem filling in a tourist. And I was right. The English Aunt Marti told me all about the tradition, which dates back to the 1300s, and generally only happens in the northwest area of England. She said the purpose first started to prepare the church for the winter by laying rushes and sweet herbs on the church floor and eventually grew to be more celebratory than functional. Eventually, the tradition died out in the early 1700s, either by lack of interest or need. Around 1970, the Morrismen of Saddleworth revived the practice, and every year it has grown to attract visitors from all over the globe (except for two years during the pandemic when it was canceled). English Aunt Marti told me there would be dancing, drinking, and singing – all in the name of the rushcart. She was right.

From what I observed, today’s rushcart festival is an opportunity for folk far and wide to come out, drink unabashedly with their fellows, and show off their ability to pile layers of rushes on a two-wheeled cart. They dress in outlandish costumes that have significance to their heritage (or so I was told), dance teams (called “sides”) perform traditional reels, and everyone has a pint in their hand – toasting the good times and the times to come. I spent a lot of time watching the sides dance. The amount of kicking, clogging, turning, and bending blew my mind. Every dance, save the women’s dance, reminded me of Chandler’s dancing in “Friends.” So, every time a lovely old gent bent his arms, waved his kerchief, or raised his stick, I saw Chandler. I am sure the image would not be appreciated as they put a lot of work into their dances. I couldn’t help but wonder if the rushcart festival was once observed by Matthew Perry, and he put away the image for future use.

I talked to quite a few folk and even had a pleasant conversation with a Morrisman about the tradition. I asked what a Morrisman was, and he told me that it was someone interested in keeping the traditions of their ancestors alive. When I got home, I looked up the definition of a Morrisman – a Morrisman is one who participates in the Morris dance, a “traditional folk dance made up of rhythmic dancing and the execution of choreographed figures usually wearing bells on their shins and shoes.” Whatever the case, the people I observed whole-heartedly took up the banner of the Morrismen and proudly displayed their hats, shoes, and costumes. It was a sight to behold.
The Jockey - an honor to be chosen to ride
Pulling the cart to Delph









Comments

Popular Posts