Social Distancing

The Coronavirus Covid-19 has struck my little town. Herd mentality and paranoia abound. We've got the hoarders leaving empty shelves, the zombie apocalypse nutjobs stocking up on guns and freezers, the "God Is Coming" predictors pacing street corners with "God is coming" and "Repent Now!" signs, the "I'm healthy" crowd out doing whatever they do, and the rest of us, just trying to keep some sense of normalcy and humor while looking for small acts of humanity.

All restaurants and bars have closed to in-house dining and revelry. Most have retooled their business model to focus on curbside take-out and delivery. Some have chosen to completely close and take the loss. All schools are closed and students, young and old, are discovering online and distance learning. Gyms, movie theaters, event venues - all closed. I am not an expert in the economic damage this is going to cause my town but I don't think an expert is needed to say it's going to hurt.

Supposedly delivery drivers are raking in the cash now. As a delivery driver, I can say that is absolutely not the case. I am more fortunate than my server and bartender friends, tho, as I do still have work.

For now, I'll support the businesses in my town, help where I can, and try to not make life harder for someone else. I'll endeavor to look for the good, greet people with a smile (from the recommended 6-foot distance), and marvel in the wonders of nature coming out of her winter sleep.

Be kind to one another.


Comments

Popular Posts