Week Three


Here we are. The beginning of week three of “It’s a Process.” If I ever have the opportunity to offer advice to anyone considering a home remodel, my first bit would be, “For all that is holy, find someplace else to call home while your house is given over to men in boots, dust, cramped quarters, and people always in your house.” The second bit of advice I would give is to maintain a sense of humor – because you’re going to need it – big time.



Currently, I have two “almost” completed rooms, and one almost, “almost” completed room. The bathroom is fully functional – it just has some touch-ups to complete it. We haven’t fully moved back into the bathroom because we’re not quite sure from day-to-day if they will be working in it. Our toothbrushes come out at night and get put away in the morning; toilet paper is without a holder; towels get hung, well, anywhere; and, shoes are always on your feet. But it’s gorgeous, and I can’t wait until it’s done and cleaned up so we can add the little things. You know, like a fluffy rug, a place to hang a towel, and perhaps a mirror. Oh, and I need to get my son out here to adjust the shower faucet. Right now the dial thingee only goes so far for the hot water, and sometimes you want a little more hot water than the faucet gods have deemed appropriate.

The second “almost” completed room is mine. There are touch-ups required that I can’t do and the windows need to be cleaned up and painted. The closet system needs installation, but since that has yet to arrive, I guess there’s a good reason it’s not installed. I have moved my bed in (thank god – 2 weeks on an aerobed is about 3 weeks too long) and set up a box as a nightstand, but everything else is waiting until I get the “all clear” to move my crap in. Oh, and curtains or some form of window treatment still needs to be done. I’m not used to having windows. I mean, I’ve always had windows, but for the past 17 years, they’ve been hidden behind blankets. This having to figure out how to decorate the windows sends me into overload. And the weird shape and location of the windows does not help my decision-making process. Wal-Mart’s most exceptional ugly-as-sin curtains currently add their ambiance to my empty room. I doubt my roommate will allow them to mold to the window frame and stay there for the next 17 years, so I have hope that I'll get something somewhat complimentary on my windows. Eventually.

The wallpaper that required an exorcism
Currently, Terrie’s soon-to-be new room is the focus. We had a little excitement last week when the wallpaper from hell decided to make an appearance and ruin a couple of days’ worth of hard work (ok, it might’ve been more like a week’s worth of hard work). Today the walls were tamed, the wallpaper exorcised, and texture and paint applied. The custom cubby for Terrie’s millions and millions of shoes is framed, drywalled, textured and painted, and Terrie stayed up way too late tonight painting the windows and trim, making sure everything paint-wise is just the way she wants it. Tomorrow (Wednesday) the shelves will go in for the shoe cubby, the closet will be drywalled, textured, and painted, and the floor will go in. I think that might be a little optimistic, but I guess we’ll see.

We both try to help as much as possible – add some sweat equity to the house and hopefully save some labor by doing the unskilled work that is nothing but time-consuming. There’s a fine line between helping and “helping,” and we try to walk that line. Tonight I put up notes – hook here, mirror there – that sort of thing, all in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, one room can be finished. Then I dust off a dog or a cat and give them some love. The animals have been incredible, and I try to remember that while this is stressful for Terrie and me, it’s just as stressful for my critters. I’m quite sure they will be thrilled to go to my Dad’s next week (I get to pet-sit my canine siblings for a while).

We’ve learned to cover the dishes before we leave for work, keep shoes always at the ready, and plan meals as much in advance as possible. The crew comes and goes through the house and they are very kind and gentle with my dogs. The dogs and the flies love the backdoor being opened all day. I’m trying to figure out how to charge the stupid flies rent – they are relentless in their squatting. But this too shall pass. One day. Hopefully, before I head to England.

When I come home from work, I walk through the construction zone and silently hope for a room to be done. Then I smile and remember, It’s a Process.



Comments

Popular Posts