And So It Begins


After DreamCatcher had its last running, I started the process of obtaining a refinance loan so I could update my home. I bought my home in 2002 on a server’s salary and a wing and a prayer. Never thinking home ownership was in my future, the house became a testament of what I could accomplish when I took a step leading nowhere I could see.

The house was built in 1906 and full of character. The floorboards squeaked, the wiring was wonky, and there were pieces put together by owners before me who thought much higher of their home remodel abilities than were an actuality. But it still became home. A place that gave both kids the confidence to sneak out of, drafty in the winter, “cozy” in the summer, comfortable enough for the three of us, and always a place where the kids and critters could feel safe and loved. I would often joke that I wish a tree would land smack dab in the middle of it (when all living occupants were elsewhere, of course) so I could tear it down and start over. But in the 17 years since I’ve lived here, dreams of a remodel seemed all but out of reach.

My children have moved out and started their own lives now but this house, in the middle of my home town, is still “home” to them and me (and to my best friend/roomie who has lived here now for five (?) years – you’ll hear more of her later). I plan to keep the house and leave it to the kids when I go to the big airport in the sky. Because of that, I want to make it something that has value to them, not a heap of trash they have to get rid of. So I’ve worked hard to eliminate debt and increase my credit score over the past two years – all so I can be tied to the house for another 30 years with a refinance. Makes sense, no?

But it worked. I got pre-approved for the loan. I used my VA Loan which added more steps and more angst. Eventually, though, all the ‘t’s were dotted, and all the ‘I’s crossed…wait, switch that around…and after only having to shell out money for an additional inspection (a re-inspection to make sure the required repairs were made) and one credit rate lock hold fee, I closed on my refinance.

I am very fortunate to be working with an amazing contractor, Mike Chavez, who went above and beyond to help me pass the re-inspection. Without him and his crew, I’d be crying in my beer right now because, of course, the fixes required money. You know, the same money I was initially requesting (Sure! We’ll loan you the money to repair and update your house. But first, make these repairs…). Mike did what he could to make sure I could close before the credit rate lock expired and he’s guided me in the best things to do to the house to increase its safety, functionality, and resale value, all while taking my hair-brained ideas into consideration.

Tomorrow (4/30) starts the demolition and rebuild of my bathroom. I’ve no idea what Terrie’s going to do for three days without a working bathroom. I’m going to be house-sitting. I think we’re entering the stage of “every woman for herself”…

Stay tuned for future anecdotes. Will our friendship survive? Will the dogs leave us? Will the cat turn feral? The future’s not ours to see – but I’m pretty sure it’s going to be entertaining.



Comments

Popular Posts